A protester, living in a tree in Bonn Square which was due to be chopped down, was forced to leave yesterday and has been arrested on suspicion of aggravated trespass.Gabriel Chamberlain set up his temporary “tree-house” in Bonn Square 11 days ago, but eventually left voluntarily at 11am after he ran out of food and water supplies. Last night he was in custody and it is understood that he has received some medical attention.However, his supporters still made one last-ditch attempt to save the tree by charging security fencing around the tree at around 12.30pm as the chainsaws started up. Another activist, Brian Melling, managed to climb into a council truck; he was removed but not charged.The tree was later felled, but protesters remained in the square throughout. The sycamore tree was one of four which have been cut down as part of a “face-lift” for Bonn Square. The plan is to improve CCTV surveillance and generally make the square more attractive.Activists may not have succeeded in saving this particular tree, but many maintain that they would do the same thing again if other trees were threatened.By Sian Cox-Brooker
Australian LNG player Santos received a new, revised takeover bid by the US-based Harbour Energy upping its offer to a total of US$10.8 billion. The EIG Global Energy Partners-backed investment firm upped its bid for Santos shares to US$5.21 per share.However, the proposal is conditional on Santos undertaking hedging of its oil-linked production in 2018, of around 30 percent and changes to hedging in 2019, Santos said in a statement.In addition, Harbour has indicated the offer price would be increased to a US dollar amount equivalent to A$7.00 per share if Santos agrees to hedge 30 percent of oil-linked production in 2020.The revised offer came soon after the binding, conditional bids of US$4.98 per share Harbour put in on May 17 and another one on May 19, at US$5.12 per share.The revised Harbour proposal is subject to conditions, including completion of final confirmatory due diligence and entry into a scheme implementation deed between Santos and Harbour, which requires the transaction to be recommended by the independent directors of the Santos board and the shareholder approval.The independent directors of Santos will consider the Revised Harbour Proposal and will update shareholders accordingly, Santos said in its statement, adding that there is no certainty the bumped bid would result in an offer that the company’s shareholders would consider.So far, Santos has advised its shareholders not to take any action in relation to the proposal.
April 28, 2018 Police Blotter042818 Decatur County Fire Report042818 Decatur County EMS Report042818 Decatur County Jail Report042818 Decatur County Law Report042818 Batesville police Blotter