Homicide Squad detectives alleged Talwar was driving a Honda CRV southbound on Broadway when he struck the pedestrian and fled the scene at 10:15pm Monday.The victim was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where she died. Her identity was not immediately released.A witness helped police apprehend the suspect nearby less than an hour later, authorities said. He was ordered held without bail and is due back in court on Thursday. Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Farmingdale man was arrested for allegedly driving drunk, hitting a 19-year-old woman who was crossing a road, and fleeing the scene in Hicksville on Monday night, Nassau County police said.Gurvinder Talwar, 61, was charged with vehicular manslaughter, leaving the scene of a fatal accident, driving while intoxicated and failure to comply with a lawful order.
Brady called the barbecue a “big success.” ENDWELL (WBNG) – The O.L. Davis Fire Company held their annual 4th of July barbecue on Saturday. “With so many things canceled, people have a bit of cabin fever, they just want to get out. We said if we have the barbecue, people will be able to come out to the park, take it home and just enjoy the nice weather, the nice day and enjoy the great fourth of the July,” said Brady. President Rob Brady told 12 News it was great to still be able to hold the event despite everything going on. The barbecue was held at Highland Park in Endwell and served more than 700 barbecue dinners catered by Brooks Barbecue. Organizers said the money raised will help the fire company with their yearly costs.
Local traffic continues to maintain positive trends with growth of 2,05% to 953.254 passengers. Looking at the type of traffic, significant growth of passengers was achieved among cruise passengers, 21,29% to 73.670 passengers. The same period in 2018 was realized at the level of 60.740 passengers. Photo: Luka Gaženica This is a great recognition for the Zadar Port Authority and the concessionaire Zadar International Port Operations (ZIPO), ie Global Ports Holding (GPH). Namely, GPH, the world’s leading cruise port operator, has nominated the Zadar port for cruises in the “Port of the Year” category, which rewards port administrations / cruising companies that have made the greatest progress in cruise port management in the last year. Ports from any part of the world can apply, and this year the finalists are the ports of OldenLoen in Norway and Yokohama in Japan. The Port of Gaženica (Zadar Cruise Port) in Zadar is one of the three finalists of the most prestigious selection for the best port in the world 2019 Seatrade Cruise Awards. The Zadar Port Authority continues with records in the number of transported passengers and vehicles at ports under its management. As a percentage, the highest growth of 25,17% was achieved in international traffic (seasonal lines). 2.969 passengers were transported. As of this year, a new line Zadar – Pesaro was introduced, next to the line Zadar – Ancona. The winner of the election will be announced on September 11, 2019 in Hamburg at the largest fair of the cruise industry Seatrade Europe 2019. At this fair, Zadar and Zadar County will jointly represent and promote the Zadar Port Authority, ZIPO and GPH, the Zadar Tourist Board and Zadar County and Zadar Airport. The goal is to promote Zadar and Zadar County through excellent cooperation and attract even more guests to the best port on the Adriatic, and maybe soon in the world. For the first time in history, the total number of passengers carried exceeded 1.000.000 in the first 6 months. In the observed period, a total of 1.029.893 passengers were transported, which is an increase of 3,28% compared to the same period in 2018. Rebeka V. Pevec, director of Zadar International Port Operations, said: “We are very excited to be one of the three finalists of the 2019 Seatrade Port of the Year Award. This is also a recognition for our efforts and the efforts of director Škifić and his team in positioning Zadar as an important destination for cruises on the Adriatic, increasing the number of passengers in the port and developing the port and providing an even better experience for visitors to Zadar. All our efforts are focused on the well-being of cruise passengers, but also the entire local community” Photo: Pixabay.com The Seatrade Cruise Awards have been given for more than ten years to the best examples and practices within the cruise industry. Hundreds of ports apply for this selection every year, so entering the finals is a great success. There is still a growing trend in the number of vehicles at a higher rate than among passengers. In the first 6 months of 2019, 194.382 vehicles were transported, which is an increase of 7,05% “Already now, in the first year of cooperation with GPH and ZIPO, we see very good results. Entering the finals, where only two other world ports are with us, speaks volumes about our mutual success. We are convinced that in the coming years this cooperation will be better and better and that Zadar will soon take its rightful place in the cruise business. ” said the director of the Zadar Port Authority Robert Škifić
Tourist agency Adriagate, in cooperation with the Tourist Board of Kastela and the Tourist Board of Pag, are organizing a free training “How to achieve a successful season” for private renters and others who want to rent accommodation in the future, which will be held on October 29 at the Rector’s Palace in the town of Pag starting at 17 pm, or on October 30 at 17 pm, in the Vitturi castle in Kaštel Lukšić. Places for training are limited, so prior registration is required. For any additional questions about education or application, those interested can contact the address EMAIL. The training is intended for private landlords and anyone who plans to rent accommodation in the future. You can apply on the application forms for the city P and city KAŠTEL LUKŠIĆ. Topics to be discussed at the training are tourism in numbers, what guests want, laws and obligations of private renters, what trends we can expect next year, tips and recommendations on landscaping, quality photography as the key to good sales, friendly host as the most important step for good reviews, how to react in crisis situations, business through social networks, portals and travel agencies and others. Source / photo: Adriagate Travel Agency; Pexels
Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionThere ought to be a law that prohibits naming public spaces after living politicians. Those spaces belong to all of us — not just to the political party that happens to be in power at that particular time. Turning public spaces into advertisements for a political brand is reprehensible and undemocratic.For a case in point, consider the actions of the all-Democrat Niskayuna Town Board after Democrat Supervisor Joe Landry, a 10-year incumbent, was booted out of office last November by Republican Yasmine Syed, a political newcomer. She left him in the dust more than 500 votes behind. Yet, the Town Board’s reaction was to vote to rename the town’s ball fields after him. What a travesty. That land is community property — not Democrat (or Republican) property.Syed swamped Landry by an official tally (provided by the Schenectady County Board of Elections — a very helpful outfit) of 3,774 to 3,021. These results are even more impressive when you consider the fact that registered Democrats in Niskayuna outnumber registered Republicans by 6,287 to 4,044.The fact that Landry’s two running mates on the Democratic ticket won re-election to the Niskayuna Town Board makes it clear that voter dissatisfaction was aimed directly at him. So the vote was not against a particular party. It was a vote against a particular person (and for a strong opponent). To then affix his name to a public space defies logic and fair play.Peter Van AveryNiskayunaMore from The Daily Gazette:Niskayuna girls’ cross country wins over BethlehemEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusPuccioni’s two goals help Niskayuna boys’ soccer top Shaker, remain perfectFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?
Moore is expected to be named on Ireland’s bench for the second-round Six Nations clash, teeing up another last-quarter scrum tussle with Debaty, included after injury to Alexandre Menini. “Debaty gave his Irish opposite number a really hard time in the final 20 minutes of the game last season so it is logical to have him on the bench,” said France coach Saint-Andre. “Our bench is packed with power players so we can introduce them late on and they will give the impetus to break tackles and gain ground.” France have made just one change to the line-up that saw off Scotland 15-8 in Paris last weekend, Eddy Ben Arous starting in place of Menini. Veteran Debaty has been drafted onto the bench when Thomas Domingo was expected to step up, with Saint Andre not disguising his aims to exploit a perceived upper-hand over Leinster’s Moore. Ireland are expected to hand Johnny Sexton an immediate return at fly-half following their 26-3 win in Italy, after the Racing Metro playmaker completed his enforced 12-week concussion lay-off. Head coach Joe Schmidt will name his squad on Thursday afternoon, but France boss Saint Andre has already told his players to heap early pressure on fit-again Sexton this weekend. Former Sale and Toulon boss Saint-Andre also believes Ireland remain favourites to retain the Six Nations title, with Schmidt’s men gunning for a ninth consecutive victory this weekend. Ireland sealed the 2014 RBS 6 Nations title with a 22-20 victory in Paris, but Leus Bleus replacement Debaty held a clear scrummaging edge on substitute Moore amid the nerve-jangling closing stages. Leinster prop Moore has already admitted he is geared up for Saturday’s Dublin rematch, and now France boss Saint-Andre has conceded Debaty’s dominance last year sealed his selection. “Sexton is a stalwart of this Ireland side, but he hasn’t played for 12 weeks and we should really test him early on,” said Saint-Andre. “Ireland are full of confidence and showed that when they seized the game by the scruff of the neck against the Italians once they were down to 14 men. “They have won eight in a row and are the favourites for the title.” Fast-developing tighthead Moore might have edged ahead of Mike Ross at Leinster, but is likely to continue to sit behind the 33-year-old at Test level. Ross remains boss Schmidt’s only ever-present Test selection, and there is no reason for that to change ahead of France’s Aviva Stadium visit. Moore admitted he was hit by a harsh scrummaging lesson from Debaty as Ireland swept to the Six Nations title in Paris last year – and is hell-bent on avoiding a repeat. “I wasn’t happy with my dealings with them last year, so I’m looking forward to getting a chance to right a few things,” said Moore. “I suppose a year is a long time in pro sport, so as a more experienced player I know what to expect at the set-piece. “Debaty brings a lot to their front-row: he’s a very aggressive player, very aggressive in the set-piece. “Whatever way it comes, I’m sure I’ll be squatting down against him at some stage.” Vincent Debaty has won a seat on France’s bench to face Ireland purely because Philippe Saint-Andre expects the prop to extend his dominance over rival Marty Moore. Press Association
Hardy says, “I was disappointed. I was appalled, and I was offended. I ask that my fellow electeds condemn the Representative’s use of this slur, and I ask that the Representative apologize for using it.”He adds, “While I am not gay, I was raised in a same-sex household by my two mothers, and I am offended for them and for the broader LGBTQ community here in Palm Beach County, where I serve.”My opponent for Florida House District 88 referred to me using a gay slur. While I’m not gay, I am offended for our LGBTQ community in Palm Beach County and across the state of Florida. His bigoted rhetoric has no place in our politics. https://t.co/Baok2u6elW— Commissioner Omari Hardy (@OmariJHardy) February 18, 2020 Jacquet released a statement Tuesday afternoon, which reads in part, “In the heat of the moment, I said something I should not have said,” Jacquet said. “I apologize for my words that have offended some of my colleagues.”However, Hardy tells The Palm Beach Post he rejected the apology because, “This was an attempt to, in my opinion, to cover up the ugliness in himself that he revealed on Friday.” A local state lawmaker stepped down Wednesday as a ranking member of the House Democrats’ Rules Committee, after a Facebook Live video showed him using a homophobic slur that was directed at his political opponent.Representative Al Jacquet discusses various topics in the video, which he posted last Friday, before he focuses on the upcoming primary and his opponent, Lake Worth Beach Commissioner Omari Hardy.“I hear they got sleepy Hardy!” Jacquet says in the clip. “That’s all good. That’s their union boy, their (expletive), union boy.”The Palm Beach County Human Rights Council had asked the Florida House of Representatives to censure Jacquet or remove him from office before he gave up his role during a House Democrats caucus meeting on Wednesday.According to Samantha Gross, a South Florida newspaper reporter:Jacquet says he got passionate and heated and said the wrong thing.“Nothing I said was an attack on any group … I should not have used the word … it’s like saying ‘I love you’ but instead saying ‘I love your big head.’”— Samantha J. Gross (@samanthajgross) February 19, 2020
The MHA Tee Off With Our Patriots Golf Classic will be held Aug. 13 at the Navesink Country Club. Those gathering for a recent meeting to talk about the golf outing are, from left: committee members Lt. Col. Peter J. Mahoney USMC; Brig. Gen. Peter Dawkins (Ret.) USAR; Cmdr. Boyd C. Decker, commanding officer, Navy Operational Support Center Earle; Stephen Feuz, Navesink Country Club assistant clubhouse manager; Capt. D. J. (Fuzz) Harrison, commanding officer Naval Weapons Station Earle; and Vice Adm. Paul G. Gaffney II (ret.) USN, who is also a committee member.MIDDLETOWN — Tee Off With Our Patriots Golf Classic will be held, starting at 9:30 a.m., on Monday, Aug. 13 at the Navesink Country Club.The benefit will honor our military and help the Mental Health Association of Monmouth County (MHA) to raise awareness of the challenges faced by the military and their families in the transition from active duty to stateside.There is a pressing need to encourage them to seek early intervention and treatment for any symptoms that may be related but not limited to depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress, and substance abuse to assure that our returning soldiers are helped.MHA currently provides a number of programs that also can be utilized by veteran’s family members.The MHA has opportunities for golfers participating in Tee Off With Our Patriots who wish to play in a foursome with a patriot. The cost for a foursome is $1,180. Individual tickets are $295. The 50/50 tickets are $10.Additional information, including sponsorships, is available by visiting MHAinfo.org or calling 732-542-642, Ext. 108.The Navesink Country Club is located at 50 Luffburrow Lane, Middletown.
Coach Mario DiBella: The first thing we look at is does the player have a passion to play the game and that’s demonstrated by how he plays on the ice. Do you play the game the right way or do you cut corners? As a defenceman are you a player that leaves the (blue)line early because you’re not confident of your backwards skating or are you the guy that closes the gap and takes that chance to make the right play? We’re looking for players that want to move forward with their hockey careers. They’re not looking at Junior B as the end goal and have a plan to move forward past Junior B and paint their success not just in hockey but also as their life moves forward as a young adult.TND: The Leafs had to cancel the scheduled camp in Calgary. Why does the coaching staff feel it’s necessary to recruit in Alberta?Coach Mario DiBella: Again we see that Alberta market as an up-tapped resource. I know some of the teams in the KI from the East Kootenay recruit heavily in Alberta. There are a lot of great hockey players that come from Alberta as seen in the (WHL) draft this year. Alberta has a great midget program and many of those players want to get into the BC Hockey League and see the KI as way to get into the BCHL.TND: Do you have any players returning from last season?Coach Mario DiBella: At this point, we’re waiting on players. We have a lot of interest from players that played with us last year and wish them all the best at camps this fall. If those players find a fit as a top four D or top six forward position than I suggest they should stay with the team. However, if they’re not sitting in those positions then they should come back and get year, or partial year, to develop to get into the right situation to allow them to move forward with their hockey career.TND: What are your thoughts of having the entire coaching staff — Mario DiBella, Sean Dooley and Isaac Macleod — return from the end of last season?Coach Mario DiBella: I’m really excited about responsibilities we’re assigning each person and we’re going to see a team that not only has success on the ice but we’re going to be more involved with the community and focusing on education and citizenship. We’re all excited about the respective roles each coach will assume in rejuvenating this franchise.TND: After last season’s debacle on and off the ice, what can fans expect?Coach Mario DiBella: We’re all very excited about upcoming season. With the players we want back from last year’s team and the one’s we’ve recruited we’re going to have a dynamic squad with a lot of skill, size and speed and toughness that will make us a real hard team to play against. The Nelson Leafs begin building toward the upcoming Kootenay International Junior Hockey League season by hosting its Annual General Meeting Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the NDCC.However, since the Leafs were ousted from postseason way back in February, the coaching staff has been busy pounding the pavement in search of players to fill the roster for the upcoming campaign.The Nelson Daily Editor Bruce Fuhr spoke with Leaf coach Mario DiBella to get a gauge on the Leafs off season, especially after the Green and White completed a year that saw the club finish the year with a record below .500, fourth in the Neil Murdoch Division and a first round exit from the playoffs.TND: Can you explain how the off-season recruiting program has been progressing?Coach Mario DiBella: We’ve been very active and have got a number of players that will be coming to our camp, some whom we have committed to . . .. I can tell you that the team that you’ll see this year will be distinctly different from the team that finished the season last year. (Coach) Sean (Dooley) and I five have attended camps in Penticton — Academies Championships — West Kelowna, the Midget Provincials in Calgary and BCHL camps in Salmon Arm and Trail. We’ve seen a lot of hockey players last few months.TND: What type of player is the hockey club looking for?