SANTA CLARA — Here are the top things we’ve learned so far Friday at 49ers headquarters ahead of Monday’s visit by the Seattle Seahawks, with more updates coming after locker-room access:HERE, KITTLE, KITTLE?Tight end George Kittle remained out for a third straight practice, casting further doubt on his availability Monday to play through knee and ankle injuries.The 49ers won’t officially declare Kittle’s status until after Saturday’s practice, at about 1 p.m. Kittle hurt his left knee on …
On Thursday, the first school to benefit in KwaZulu-Natal, the Kwamanzini Primary School, celebrated the opening of their mobile library, with Saru president Oregan Hoskins, Springbok eighthman Pierre Spies in attendance. ‘A vital skill’ South Africa public schools are desperately short of functional libraries. In 2011, the World Economic Forum ranked South Africa 140th out of 144 nations based on national educational assessments. “Literacy is essential for the acquiring of skills and knowledge, and those who can read are usually in a position to make a very meaningful contribution to the social, welfare and community affairs of their respective communities,” he said. South Africans can assist the Boks for Books campaign by purchasing the Springbok Literacy Bracelet, which is available at leading news agents across the country or directly from Blue Groove Africa (www.bluegrooveafrica.com). “Reading is a vital skill and I know that many learners unfortunately don’t have access to basic library facilities,” he said. “I am therefore very glad that Saru are assisting in the effort to make these facilities more accessible in some of the remote parts of the country.” 25 October 2013 Impact ‘beyond the school’ “The library will improve reading skills and hopefully create life-long readers among the learners, who will no doubt become intellectually enriched,” she said. Boks for Books, Saru’s first venture into corporate social investment, supplies fully stocked mobile or refurbished libraries to previously disadvantaged schools. Saru has teamed up with non-governmental organisation Blue Groove Africa on the campaign. Hoskins said he hoped the library would have a lasting impact not only on the schools but also in the surrounding community. Spies shared his reading experience with the excited learners and encouraged them to make use of the library. Kwamanzini Primary School is situated in the KwaNdengezi District in Pinetown and serve pupils in eight grades. The school’s acting headmistress, Bongekile Mbatha said the library would also open its doors to the nearby Amanganga, Nkosenye, Bhongo, Botate and Umthende Primary Schools. The next library handover, in partnership with South African rugby sponsor Absa Bank, will take place in Gauteng in November. The South African Rugby Union’s (Saru’s) “Boks for Books” literacy campaign opened its second library at Kwamanzini Primary School in Pinetown outside Durban on Thursday, following the first library launch at Gcobani Higher Primary School in Mdantsane in the Eastern Cape in August. SAinfo reporter and SA Rugby
Even though some folks have questioned the market viability of green prefab construction, its design aspects still have legs, especially if we’re talking about the net-zero-energy design concept being developed by Specht Harpman, an architecture firm with offices in New York City and Austin, Texas.Specht Harpman’s ZeroHouse quite literally sports four stainless steel anchors where the foundation sill would be on a conventional home. The anchors are intended to eliminate the need for excavation, help reduce the intrusiveness of the house on the land, and more easily accommodate challenging topography, including shallow water.Renderings of the project have prompted some observers to compare ZeroHouse to a lunar landing module or a space traveler’s way station. As currently designed, the structure is in fact quite small – about 650 square feet of interior space, with two outdoor decks providing another 250 square feet. But its energy and water-supply systems are expected perform to green extremes – completely off the grid and unattached to a municipal water supply or public waste-disposal system.ZeroHouse also is designed to be shipped easily and assembled quickly, features that, when combined with its self-sufficiency, making it suitable for use in remote areas.Ready to buildThe firm’s principals, Scott Specht and Louise Harpman, told the Austin American-Statesman that the firm is now pitching its design to prospective investors in eco-friendly Austin who would be willing to risk $300,000 to $350,000 to construct a prototype and live in it.“The off-grid model has the most challenges, so that’s the test case we designed for,” explained Specht, who said he developed and refined plans for ZeroHouse in his spare time over a 10-year period. “We think that the value is in the complete self-sufficiency, the absolutely minimal environmental and site impact, and the fact that this would be a model for what can be done — a ‘first adapter’ demonstration of the ultimate in green living.”ZeroHouses produced as a line of factory-built homes, Specht added, would cost significantly less than the prototype.The marketability questionSolar panels provide electricity. Rainwater is collected in four 550-gallon cisterns, which are serviced by a special collection system and a filtration system that makes the water suitable for drinking. The house also is equipped with an automated composting system, triple-glazed windows, and high-efficiency air-conditioning and heat exchange systems.In the American-Statesman story, the co-founder and president of energy efficiency specialist Davis Energy Group, David Springer, noted that ZeroHouse “is a bit futuristic and might be difficult to market.” But Springer, like others asked to comment on the project, praised its far-reaching, self-sustaining efficiency and prefab strategy.Whether the ultramodern appearance of the house is marketable remains to be seen (Specht and Harpman note that the futuristic look was deliberate), but many people in the building industry say the project is exemplary.Said Michael Webber, an assistant professor of mechanical engineering at University of Texas and co-director of the Clean Energy Incubator at UT: “When we get society’s best designers tackling society’s biggest problems, that’s a good sign, and it’s cause for celebration.”
Union Home Minister Amit Shah said in Chandigarh on Friday that by withdrawing the special status granted to Kashmir, the BJP government did something which successive Congress governments had failed to do in 70 years.At a public meeting in Jind of Haryana, Mr. Shah said Article 370 was a hurdle in the way of Sardar Patel’s dream of Akhand Bharat [one India]. “…what the Congress governments could not do in 70 years because of vote-bank politics, Modiji did it in 75 days [of his second term as Prime Minister] … abrogation of Article 370 and 35A will prove to be a milestone for the integrity of India,” he said.Mr. Shah said that with the dilution of Articles 370 and 35A, all obstacles in the path of holistic development of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh had been removed. “Such a courageous step can be taken only by those who think in terms of national interest,” he said.He said the revoking of these sections was a true tribute to the brave soldiers of Haryana who attained “martyrdom” in Kashmir. “Kashmir will now be on the path of development as there are two Union Territories of Ladakh and Jammu and Kashmir,” he said.The new Chief of Defence Staff post would ensure greater synergy among defence forces, he added.Setting the tone for the campaign for the Assembly election in Haryana later this year, Mr. Shah appealed to the people to vote the BJP back to power as the party had provided a corruption-free and transparent government under Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar.Mr. Shah said initiatives taken by the Khattar government, be it online transfer of teachers, transparency in recruitment or the successful implementation of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao programme, were being praised by all. The BJP governments at the Centre and in Haryana were working to ensure corruption-free governance and development.
Noting that there is no specific terrorist threat to the ICC World Cup being held in India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, the US has urged its citizens to be alert while travelling to these countries during the tournament as such big events are always a soft targets for the militants.World Cup begins in Dhaka”The Department of State alerts US citizens travelling to or residing in India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka to safety and security issues related to the ICC Cricket World Cup scheduled to be held in those countries between February 19 and April 2, 2011,” said a US travel advisory.While the US government has no specific threat information regarding the Cricket World Cup, high-profile events of this nature can be targets for terrorist attacks, the State Department said in a statement a day after the mega cricket event was kicked off in Dhaka on Thursday.The State Department reminded its citizens about the worldwide travel alert it had issued about the American nationals on January 31 which also includes South Asian countries.Observing that local authorities in the country where individual matches are held are responsible for security arrangements for the ICC Cricket World Cup, the State Department said US citizens should monitor local news reports and consider the level of security present when visiting public places, including religious sites, or choosing hotels, restaurants, entertainment, and recreation and sporting venues.This travel alert expires on April 9, 2011. With PTI inputs
TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Jabari Parker came off the bench to lead Chicago with 18 points and Lauri Markkanen added 17.“We have to play better basketball for more of the game. We played about 28 to 35 minutes of good basketball and had 12 minutes of not good basketball,” Bulls coach Jim Boylen said. “We don’t have enough firepower to be able to turn it on and take over the game. We have to plow through it and get the lead and hold on to it.”Both teams struggled shooting from the floor in the first quarter, but the Lakers held a 19-18 lead, marking the first time in eight games they led after the first 12 minutes.Los Angeles held a 44-43 lead at halftime as the first half had 22 lead changes and five ties.TIP-INSBulls: Chicago’s 8 of 28 from the field in the first quarter was its second-worst opening 12 minutes of the season. It was 8 of 29 in a Dec. 26 loss to Minnesota. … The Bulls were 7 of 17 on 3-pointers in the second half after going 2 of 14 in the first.Lakers: Kuzma also had 12 rebounds as he recorded his third double-double of the season. … The Lakers were 2 of 15 on 3-pointers in the first half but 6 of 11 in the second half, which included three from Ball.LINEUP CHANGEWalton changed his starting lineup, putting Tyson Chandler at center and Caldwell-Pope at guard while moving JaVale McGee and Josh Hart to the bench.Chandler, who got his third start, scored eight points and had three rebounds in 26 minutes. Walton was also pleased with Caldwell-Pope holding Zach LaVine to 10 points, including 4 of 11 from the field, as well as what McGee and Hart provided off the bench. It was just the fourth win in 11 games for Los Angeles since LeBron James was sidelined with a groin injury.“It was a must-win today, I knew I had to pick up whatever I could,” said Ball, who also had rebounds and six assists. “We were missing shots early but we got it together.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsThe game was close for the first 28 minutes before Los Angeles took control. It was tied at 48 with 9:24 remaining in the third quarter when the Lakers went on a 13-7 run, which included eight straight points at the start. Tyson Chandler scored the first two points before Ball scored 11 straight, including three 3-pointers.“He’s got a knack for hitting big shots. He’s not afraid to knock down a 3 when we needed it,” Lakers coach Luke Walton said. “What is great is seeing him more confident in getting to the rim. He can draw contact but still be able to finish.” Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion “I’m sure there was some anger but they both engaged. You could tell by Josh’s defensive demeanor in the fourth that he was locked in,” Walton said.NUMBER OF NOTEThe Lakers have won all four games since James’ injury when Ingram had six assists or more. He had seven against the Bulls.“It is a chance for me to get everyone involved and show another part of my game,” Ingram said. “With me getting in the lane the defense collapses and a lot of guys are open.”UP NEXTBulls: Conclude their five-game road trip against the Denver Nuggets on Thursday night.Lakers: Travel to Oklahoma City on Thursday night for the second of three meetings against the Thunder.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ LATEST STORIES Los Angeles Lakers guard Lonzo Ball shoots as Chicago Bulls guard Kris Dunn defends during the first half of an NBA basketball game Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019, in Los Angeles. The Lakers won 107-100. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)LOS ANGELES — Lonzo Ball and the Los Angeles Lakers were angry after the NBA’s worst team broke a long losing streak on their home floor. They weren’t about to let the league’s second-worst team do the same thing on Tuesday night.Ball scored 13 of his 19 points in the second half as the Lakers handed the Chicago Bulls their eighth straight loss with a 107-100 victory.ADVERTISEMENT Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Manny Pacquiao, Adrien Broner make grand arrival in Las Vegas for fight week Chicago got within 72-68 on a 3-pointer by Wayne Seldon, but the Lakers pulled away again with six straight points to end the third and start the fourth.Los Angeles’ lead grew to 94-76 with 4:26 remaining in the game before Chicago made a late flurry to get within 103-98 in the final minute.Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, who got just his fourth start of the season, scored 17 points while Brandon Ingram and Kyle Kuzma scored 16 apiece.The Lakers erased the bitter taste of a 101-95 loss Sunday to the Cleveland Cavaliers, who ended a 12-game skid, and gained some confidence going into a three-game stretch where they face Oklahoma City, Houston and Golden State.“We’ve been losing and wanted to go out on the road with some momentum,” Ball said.ADVERTISEMENT View comments
VANCOUVER – Neither of British Columbia’s two main political parties are ruling out changing the province’s electoral system without holding a referendum.The New Democrats’ campaign platform included putting the question of electoral reform to voters, but party leader John Horgan said Thursday he’s open to compromising with the Greens, who want the change introduced without a vote.“Quite honestly I believe that this singular moment in history is an opportunity to demonstrate to British Columbians the benefits of a proportional system where two parties can come together and provide good government for B.C.,” Horgan said after his first caucus meeting since the May 9 election.“We campaigned on a referendum to affirm proportional representation, but I’m open to discussions with the Green party about their approach to this question and we’ll take it from there.”Liberal Leader Christy Clark said earlier this week that she wants to discuss the issue with the other parties before taking a firm stand, but added that she campaigned for electoral reform during her time as a radio talk show host in Vancouver.“In the past I have been an advocate for electoral reform,” she said on Tuesday.“Let’s have the discussion with the legislature and other parties first.”The NDP and the Liberals are awaiting the final results of last week’s tight election race and the leaders of both parties have said they are in talks with the Green party over forming a possible minority government.No single party secured a majority of seats in the election, leaving the Liberals with 43, the NDP 41 and the Greens three, although those results won’t be confirmed until after next week’s absentee ballots are counted.The Greens campaigned on a promise to introduce a system of proportional representation. Party leader Andrew Weaver said the exact form of electoral change would be a matter of negotiation.“Our position had been that we would bring in proportional representation without a referendum … but we would be open to discussing a referendum afterwards,” Weaver said on Wednesday.The Greens also want to lower the voting age from 18 to 16 and change the fixed date of the provincial election to October.B.C. has voted on changing the province’s electoral system twice in the last 12 years, but both attempts failed.In 2005, about 57 per cent of people voted in favour of a system of proportional representation, which fell short of the 60-per-cent threshold established by then-premier Gordon Campbell.Four years later, voters were asked to vote on electoral reform but the provincial government actively campaigned against the proposal. The initiative received only 39-per-cent support.— Follow @gwomand on Twitter
A total of 21 students of various departments under the Faculty of Earth and Environmental Sciences of Dhaka University (DU) have been awarded ‘Dean’s Award’ for their outstanding academic results in BS (Hons) examinations of 2015, 2016 and 2017.Besides, 3 teachers of the Faculty of Earth and Environmental Sciences have received Dean’s Award for research works.DU vice-chancellor Akhtaruzzaman handed over the awards to the awardees as the chief guest at a function held at Nabab Nawab Ali Chowdhury Senate Bhaban of the university on Thursday .Dean of the Faculty of Earth and Environmental Sciences ASM Maksud Kamal presided over the function while pro-vice chancellor (Administration) Muhammad Samad and treasurer professor Kamal Uddin addressed it as special guests.The teachers who received the award are professor Kazi MatinUddin Ahmed (Geology), professor Kawser Ahmed (Oceanography) and lecturer Yousuf Gazi (Geology).The students who received the awards are- Zannatul Ferdous, Naznin Bintey Hayder, NishatTasnim Kakon and Dola Dutta (Geography and Environment), Mahmud Al Noor Tushar, AfrozaParvin, Tamanna Meheran Shemu, SumiyaSadeak, Sharaf Anika Hoque, Farjana Zareen Maria, FatematuzZohora Nishi and Md. Tariqul Islam (Geology), Nazma Ahmed, Shamima Ferdousi Sifa, Ariful Islam, Tanzim Hayat, Nawar Wadud Khan, Falguni Sarkar, Tanzeem Hossain, SumaiyaTabassum and Ayesha Islam (Disaster Science and Management).