VIDEO: Protests mar Israel festival

first_imgThe event, dubbed “Camels in Oxford”, was put on as part of iFest, a two-week festival marking the 60th anniversary of the founding of Israel. A protester leads chanting on Broad Street First-year student James Norrie was among those protesting as part of the Palestinian Solidarity Campaign. A group chanting “Free free Palestine, occupation is a crime” have been at the entrance to the festival all afternoon, while slogans including “Celebrating Ethnic Cleansing” have been chalked onto the street. At lunchtime, the Network of Oxford Women for Justice and Peace held an hour-long silent vigil dressed in black cloaks. “The weather has been kind, people are having a great time and seem to be interested.” However, OICS committee member Jacob Turner was happy with how the event had gone.  He insisted that Israeli culture and politics could be kept seperate. center_img Police said that the protests had been peaceful and that no arrests had been made.  Protesters today descended on a Broad Street event organised by the Oxford Israeli Cultural Society (OICS). “I don’t think they [the protesters] have managed to politicise the event.  We got across the message that we wanted to.  People respond better to food being handed out than to shouting,” he said. “This is a celebration of a racialised state, the consequence of which is the occupation of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians,” he said. See also:Comment: Celebrating ethnic cleansing? Comment: OICS responselast_img read more

Swans refute Utrecht’s Vorm claims

first_img Dutch international Vorm, who was a member of Holland’s squad at this summer’s World Cup in Brazil, moved to White Hart Lane last month for what Swansea described as an undisclosed fee. “The transfer of Michel Vorm was conducted and concluded correctly under Premier League rules,” a Swansea spokesman said. “It was approved by the Premier League and also FIFA via their TMS (Transfer Matching) system. “While we have been in contact with Utrecht as a matter of courtesy, we will continue to conduct our business in the best interest of our football club and our supporters, and not based on the views of other clubs. “Unlike some countries abroad, we do not have third party ownership of players in Britain. “The club will not be commenting further on this matter.” Utrecht general manager Wilco van Schalk claimed on Friday that Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins had told him Vorm had gone to Tottenham “for free”. Schalk told BBC Wales: “That’s unbelievable and unacceptable. “Michel is a very reliable goalkeeper in the Premier League. He is 30-years-old, in the prime of his life. He still had a two-year contract and has a good reputation. “Besides that, he’s a solid member of the Dutch squad. We want to have the 30 per cent as we agreed.” Vorm’s former club Utrecht have threatened to report Swansea to FIFA. The Eredivisie club claim they have not received 30 per cent of Vorm’s transfer fee, which they allege was part of a sell-on agreement between them and the Swans when he moved to Wales for £1.5million in 2011. Swansea say the transfer of goalkeeper Michel Vorm to Tottenham was “conducted and concluded correctly under Premier League rules”.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

MGA seeks to strengthen cooperations as Malta Politics is rocked by further corruption claims

first_img Genesis to appeal UKGC’s ‘disproportionate suspension’ July 23, 2020 Share Share Soft2Bet continues new market drive with Irokobet launch August 26, 2020 StumbleUpon Submit TVBET passes GLI test for five live games in Malta and Italy August 25, 2020 Michele Magro, General Counsel of the Malta Gaming Authority (MGA), has confirmed that the regulator will work with Italy’s ADM Customs Agency and further authorities to ‘eliminate criminal infiltrations in online gambling’.Magro confirmed to Italian betting news source AgiproNews that MGA officials had met with Italian counterparts in Rome to discuss regulatory cooperation and further information sharing to strengthen both jurisdictions’ integrity frameworks.Italian authorities and media have questioned the compliance capacity of the MGA following the damaging revelations of the ‘Glassia’ anti-mafia investigation, which uncovered that Calabria Mafias had utilised MGA licensed ‘skin gambling websites’ to launder € millions fund attached to criminal activities.Arresting 51 suspects and confiscating €1 billion to date, Italian federal police have branded Glassia as Italy’s biggest ever money-laundering investigation.“It is essential to have a good relationship since we share operators with licenses in both countries and seen also the recent news stories,” Magro told AgiproNews. “We exchanged information with the Italian investigative authorities during the investigations in recent months and we will do the same again.”The consequences of Glassia have been widespread both in Italy and abroad. Fighting ‘gambling corruption’, Italy’s new coalition government led by PM Giuseppe Conte has instructed the ADM to establish an ‘industry registry’ to monitor all betting related transactions and further external financing of licensed incumbents.Meanwhile, AgiproNews reports that the field of Italian-owned, MGA-licensed gambling incumbents has shrunk to just three operators, whilst prior to Calabria prosecutor investigations undertaken in 2016 there were ‘several dozens’.Magro continued: “Since 2016, the MGA has cancelled most of the licenses, other entrepreneurs have closed and the very few remaining companies have to prove to us that they run a business totally compliant both with Italian and Maltese laws.”Magro further underlined that an MGA collaboration dynamics could be extended to the Italian Financial Police (GDF), as Italy’s government places further compliance measures on sector incumbents.However, the MGA’s General Counsel noted caveats with regards to a direct relationship with Italian police. It said: “Our status is very different, we will exchange information with them too, but we are a regulator. Communication with them is ongoing, even if there is no any formal agreement. The Italian financial police has strong connections with the Maltese police, not with a gaming Authority such as MGA.”This weekend, Malta PM Joesph Muscat confirmed his resignation from office following two weeks of public protests in relation to the top aides and Labour party financiers ‘alleged complicity’ in the 2017 murder of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia, who was investigating Maltese government corruption and international money laundering.The Malta business community has been rocked, as police this weekend arrested Maltese tycoon and online gambling investor Yorgen Fenech as the lead suspect in the murder of Caruana Galizia.Recognised as Malta’s wealthiest man, Fenech has been attached to Dubai registered to gambling investment fund ’17 Black’ – a money-laundering vehicle denounced by Caruana Galizia as one of several Malta assets disclosed in the 2015 Panama Papers leak.Of further concern for Malta’s business community, this summer the European Union underlined to Malta’s government that it had ‘one year’ to strengthen its AML procedures in-line with European standards.Moneyval, a Council of Europe standards association, detailed that Malta had failed its review on critical criteria related to risk management, AML identifications and measures to prevent financial crime.This afternoon, MGA COO Christopher Formosa spoke to SBC about Malta’s political upheaval. He said: “Notwithstanding the fact that changes at the highest level of Government are highly significant, the policy direction set by Government remains consistent. The Authority shall continue to implement the policy in line with its regulatory objectives, and there will be no disruption to its work.” Related Articleslast_img read more