Precautions Needed for Fire Hazards

first_imgThe provincial fire marshal is asking Nova Scotians to be extra careful with open flames and other sources of heat while they are without power. The following are tips to help identify potential safety risks: — Candle use: Using candles is not recommended, but if you must use them, make sure they are properly supported — use a non-combustible container that is larger than the candle. Keep materials at least two feet away from candles. Extinguish any candles before leaving the room. — Portable appliances: Put the correct fuel in appliances like Coleman stoves or oil lamps. Substituting fuels is extremely dangerous. Propane and liquid camp stoves are for outdoor use only. Space heaters create carbon monoxide. Ensure they are used in rooms with good ventilation and placed on a flat hard surface to prevent tipping. Do not leave the units unattended. If using a portable, unvented kerosene heater, it is vital to open a window one inch or keep a door ajar to another room to provide safe ventilation, especially if the room is less than 150 sq. ft. — Extension cords: Do not attempt to run extension cords from a house that has electrical power to one that doesn’t. This can place both houses in danger of an electrical fire and is dangerous to repair crews. — Generators: Generators should be operated in well ventilated locations outdoors away from doors, windows and vent openings. They should be placed so that exhaust fumes cannot enter the home through windows, doors or other building openings. Generators must be certified and connected to the electrical system of a house by a construction electrician. They should be used to power equipment such as lights, portable electric heaters and a water pump and other equipment that may be connected directly by plug to the generator. — Smoke detectors: Ensure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors and alarms have fresh batteries and are working properly. Remember, electric-powered devices do not work when the power is out. — Check appliances: Check stoves and other heating equipment to make sure that it is turned off. When electrical power is restored, a stove or other heating device can cause a fire if it is not attended. As always, if you have an emergency call 911. -30-last_img

Post A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *