PASADENA Family and friends Wednesday of a shooting victim held a car wash fundraiser to help pay for the funeral of the young man, slain in a mid-day double homicide in Pasadena in early May. “We’ve had too many of these fundraisers for senseless killing like this,” said Carla Canada. Her nonprofit organization, A Stop Along The Way, which works with at-risk youth in Pasadena and Altadena, sponsored the event. “This is one of the ways we help families in these situations,” she said. “Jamal was like a son to me,” said Karl Dean, 45, a member of the association since the 1970s. “He was the lead drummer at an event we won first place in in 2004. We won $5,000 largely because of Jamal.” Eric Meeks, an instructor in the association, remembered Varcasia as the “hardest worker in the bunch.” The volunteers and association members said Varcasia had no gang ties known to them. Police said the shooting along with two others and a stabbing within a 24-hour period over May 6 and 7 – was definitely gang-related. Varcasia’s mother, Vinia Varcasia, said her son and Walker were strangers, but had met to discuss the sale of a car. “This is a total surprise,” she said with a noticeable Panamanian accent. “How can I feel? My son is dead. He’s not no gang person. He was always around the house.” email@example.com (626) 578-6300 Ext. 4461 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! All proceeds from the fundraiser will be donated to help the family of Jamal Varcasia, 21, who died after being shot several times on May 7 around 1:53 p.m. in the 100 block of East Washington Boulevard. Four suspects three men and woman were arrested in connection with the attack, in which Tony Walker, 37, also died, according to Pasadena police Lt. John Dewar. Throughout the afternoon, cars and SUVs lined up at Joe’s Mobil gas station at Woodbury Road and Fair Oaks Avenue to receive a $5 hand wash. Canada said Varcasia’s mother, Vinia, spent Wednesday working with authorities to allow three of her son’s organs to be donated. Many at the event remembered Varcasia from the John Muir Drummers Alumni Association, which he had been involved with since his high school years.
However, after a lengthy delay, referee Kevin Friend disallowed the goal for offside on the recommendation of the video official, located in a studio in London nearly 200 miles away.Yet the lines used to determine whether Mata had been standing in an offside position showed up on television footage as anything but straight, leading many viewers to think a decision had been using inexact information.However, Hawk-Eye — the company behind the system — insisted they had given the correct information to the VAR if not broadcaster BT Sport during a match United eventually won 2-0 thanks to Lukaku’s second goal.“A technical issue led to an incorrect graphic being provided by Hawk-Eye to BT Sport last night,” said a company statement issued Sunday.“To confirm, the VAR saw the correct image with the correct lines to make the decision. This was a case of the wrong image being provided to the broadcaster and we apologise.”United manager Jose Mourinho, speaking after Saturday’s match, said: “I think our game is so beautiful that to change we have to change for the better.“If they find a way in the VAR that the VAR is always right and always bring the truth, I’m happy.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Not so instant replay: Players wait for the VAR decision on Juan Mata’s ‘goal’ which was ruled out © AFP / Oli SCARFFLONDON, United Kingdom, Feb 17 – The company responsible for the ‘wobbly line’ that caused confusion during Manchester United’s debut using the controversial video assistant referee (VAR) system has apologised for a technical error.Juan Mata thought he had put United 2-0 up against Huddersfield Town just before half-time in their FA Cup fifth-round tie on Saturday following Romelu Lukaku’s early opener.
0Shares0000Former German FA (DFB) president and ex-FIFA official Theo Zwanziger, shown here in 2016, is facing charges of fraud © AFP/File / PATRIK STOLLARZLAUSANNE, Switzerland, Aug 6 – Swiss prosecutors said Tuesday they had charged three former German Football Association (DFB) officials, including ex-president Theo Zwanziger, with fraud relating to the 2006 World Cup.In a statement the attorney general’s office said the accused “are alleged to have fraudulently misled the members of a supervisory body of the DFB organising committee for the 2006 World Cup in Germany ” in April 2005 about the true purpose of a payment of around 6.7 million euros. Hors Schmidt, former secretary of the German football federation, has also been charged with fraud — along with the Swiss Urs Linsi, secretary general of FIFA from June 1999 to June 2007.Wolfgang Niersbach, who was a member of the 2006 bid committee and vice-president of the organising committee, has been charged with complicity in fraud.Charges of money-laundering were dismissed in July, the OAG said.All four have denied the claims.“This whole Swiss campaign is wretched, malicious and will completely fail, because I have nothing to reproach myself for,” Zwanziger told AFP subsidiary SID.“These incompetent investigators are banging their heads against a brick wall, and the wall will always win. The whole thing has long been a judiciary scandal and there has been no truly reproachable behaviour on the part of the accused.”Proceedings against Franz Beckenbauer, a football legend in Germany, also implicated in the investigation, have been deferred because of the 1974 World Cup winning captain’s ill health.– Secret fund –The attorney general’s statement said that Beckenbauer “is unable for health reasons to participate or to be questioned in the main hearing in the Federal Criminal Court (FCC).”The four accused: (from top L clockwise) Wolfgang Niersbach, Theo Zwanziger Horst Schmidt, Urs Linsi © AFP / DANIEL ROLAND, PATRIK STOLLARZ, JOHN MACDOUGALL, STEPHANE DE SAKUTINThe announcement comes at the end of an investigation which opened in November 2015 into a payment of 6.7 million euros made in 2005 by the DFB to Robert Louis-Dreyfus, former head of Adidas, a partner of the DFB.The German weekly Der Spiegel broke the story in late October 2015 when it claimed that Germany used a secret fund of 10 million Swiss francs (6.7 million euros at the time) to buy votes in the bid to stage the 2006 World Cup.“This sum was used to fund various payments made via a Swiss law firm to a Qatari company belonging to Mohammed Bin Hammam,” the statement said.At the time, Bin Hammam was a member of the FIFA Executive Committee and the FIFA Finance Committee.In May 2018, Zwanziger was charged along with other former German football officials for “aggravated tax fraud” in the case.But the procedure was abandoned five months later, for lack of evidence. However, the prosecution have since appealed the decision.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Napoli star Gokhan Inler has rejected a move to Leicester City, according to reports in Italy.The Switzerland international’s contract is up next summer and Fiorentina are set to pounce for the 31-year-old after he revealed he wants to stay in Italy.talkSPORT told you last month that Foxes boss Claudio Ranieri had pinned his hopes on signing the experienced midfielder as a direct replacement for Esteban Cambiasso, who decided not to sign a contract extension with the club.However, Inler has made it clear he has no intention of joining the Premier League outfit.And now it has been revealed by the Corriere del Mezzogiorno that the 31-year-old will link-up with La Viola in a deal worth £2million. 1 Napoli star Gokhan Inler
Newcastle have completed the signing of Grant Hanley from Blackburn Rovers.The Scotland international defender has penned a five-year contract with the Magpies after they agreed a £5.5m fee with their Championship rivals.“I’m over the moon and delighted to be here,” said Hanley.“It is a fantastic opportunity to come and play at such a big club and one that I couldn’t turn down.“It is an exciting step in my career but it doesn’t stop there. This is just the start and I am looking forward to helping Newcastle get back into the Premier League.”Hanley had been at Ewood Park since joining the club from Glasgow Rangers as a 16-year-old in 2008.He made 200 appearances for Rovers, scoring nine goals.Hanley is the sixth signing made by Rafa Benitez this summer as the Spaniard bids to lead the relegated club back to the Premier League at the first attempt.He follows Dwight Gayle, Matt Ritchie, Matz Sels, Jesus Gamez and Isaac Hayden to St James’ Park. Grant Hanley in action for Blackburn 1
Minister Joe McHugh meets the students behind BEOWhat’s that coming over the hill? Thats Aire na Gaeltachta Joe Mc Hugh coming to save BEO.BEO founded in 2009 started by organising gigs with original music for teenager in Letterkenny.Having entered a national competition in 2010 BEO branded itself, put a business plan together and the committee of the time sold the idea of expansion to firstly Micheal Heaney of Donegal Co Co and secondly MarieAnn Kane of the then Donegal VEC. There were three national finals held in Letterkenny from 2012 to 2014 with winners from Co. Wexford, Co Limerick and last year from Co Cork.Last year saw 32 school enter the competition asteady increase from the 8 that entered in 2012.While 2014 started very well for BEO but with the ETB budget being cut by 16% funds were proving difficult to find.This led to an email being circuated ending BEO in December. It was then that Aire Mc Hugh appeared on his white horse and pulled some funding together to fund Comórtas BEO for 2015.He has also promised to do his upmost to help secure funding for the competition into the future. BEO filled 130 beds in Letterkenny last March and brought students to Donegal from all corners of the country.This year’s committee are delighted with the news and met with Joe this week to thank him for his intervention.MINISTER McHUGH SETS THE STAGE FOR BEO’S SURVIVAL! was last modified: January 29th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BeodonegalJoe McHugh
Muchael Muprhy: scored Donegal’s first point.Donegal lead Armagh by two points at half-time on a scoreline of 1-05 to 0-06 in their All-Ireland Senior Football Championship quarter-final clash at Croke ParkMichael Murphy gave Donegal the lead in the third minute, putting a free over the bar from 30 yards.Tony Kernan drew Armagh level five minutes later with an excellent point from play from 45 yards. The game threatened to boil over in the 10th minute as players and officials got involved in a “bit of handbags” in front of “Hill 16” during which the Donegal team doctor was pushed to the ground.When the game restarted after a two-minute delay, Aaron Kernan put a free over the bar to put Armagh in front for the first time.Wing forward Aiden Forker extended the Armagh lead when he floated over a lovely point in the 20th minute and the same player should have scored again a minute later but he put his shot wide when in a good possession.The game burst into life in the 22nd minute when Oran MacNiallais found the bottom corner of the Armagh net for his first ever championship goal to put Donegal into a one point lead on a scoreline of 1-01 to 0-03. However, the lead last only lasted three minutes as first, Stefan Campbell and then Andy Mallon put the Orchard County back in front.A brilliant free swung in from distance by Michael Murphy brought the Tir Chonaill county back on level terms a minute later and he put over another to put Donegal back in front with five minutes of the half remaining.Full-back Neil McGee pushed up to double the advantage with an excellent score before Armagh’s Kyle Carragher put over the bar to reduce the deficit to a single point.Following another “handbag” confrontation between the players in the Armagh goalmouth, Michael Murphy put over another free to send Donegal in at half-time with a two-point advantage on a scoreline of 1-05 to 0-06. HALF-TIME AT CROKER: DONEGAL LEAD ARMAGH BY TWO POINTS was last modified: August 9th, 2014 by johngerardShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:armaghcrokedonegalFootballparkQuarter final.Senior
A Junior Government Minister contacted his daughter’s college to have her work experience changed from Letterkenny General Hospital to Sligo General Hospital.Junior minister for primary care Alex White sent an email from his Oireachtas account to NUI Galway, where his daughter is a medical student.He wanted to have her one-year work placement switched from the Donegal hospital to Sligo Regional Hospital – but received no response from NUI Galway. It is not expected the Labour party will take any action to be taken after Mr White admitted he should not have sent the email from his official Oireachtas account.“Alex has put his hands up,” the Labour source told the Irish Independent.It is understood that Mr White has briefed party colleagues about his actions but has received no reprimand from Mr Gilmore.In a statement, he said that he had sent an email from his Oireachtas account on behalf of his daughter, seeking to have her student medical placement switched from Letterkenny to Sligo “for family reasons”. “I should have taken greater care to ensure it was sent from a personal email account,” he said. Mr White said that he had not referred to himself in the email as a junior minister and instead signed it in the names of himself and his wife.However, it is understood that it is standard practice for third-level institutions like NUI Galway to deal with students themselves in relation to course issues – not with their parents. JUNIOR MINISTER TRIED TO HAVE HIS DAUGHTER’S WORK EXPERIENCE CHANGED FROM LETTERKENNY GENERAL was last modified: November 18th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Alex WhiteLetterkenny General HospitalNUI Galway
GLENDALE – The driver of a truck hit by a Metrolink train bound from Lancaster to Union Station was cited for failure to yield and no proof of insurance by Glendale police. At 7:21 p.m. Monday, the southbound commuter train carrying some 100 passengers hit the trailer portion of a truck driven by Glendale resident Vihik Grigori, 35. Grigori had been attempting a three-point turn on San Fernando Road near Brazil Street when the trailer portion got stuck on tracks within the city of Glendale. Three vehicles stopped on San Fernando Road West were hit by debris from the collision. Four passengers on the train and one occupant of a vehicle stopped on San Fernando Road West suffered minor injuries and were transported to local hospitals and subsequently released. Upon completion of their investigation, Glendale police cited Grigori for failure to yield to a crossing train and no proof of insurance. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week The Metrolink line runs from Lancaster through Santa Clarita and Glendale to Union Station. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
SAN FRANCISCO — It is human nature to rush to conclusions.It’s easy to judge a player from a small sample size or race to a decision about a team from its first 10 games. But baseball, as the cliché goes, is a marathon and not a sprint.If a 162-game schedule was instead a 26.2-mile course, the Giants would be a little more than two miles in right now. They’re just getting used to the race conditions and still feeling out the course.That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t draw big-picture …