Vardy accepts FA charge

first_img Former BPL player wins appeal LONDON (AP): A British court overturned the rape conviction of former Premier League player Ched Evans yesterday and ordered a new trial. Evans, a former Sheffield United and Wales striker, was in the packed London courtroom with his girlfriend when the verdict was read out by the Court of Appeal. Evans was convicted in April 2012 of raping a 19-year-old woman at a hotel in Rhyl, north Wales. He was released from prison last year after serving half of his five-year sentence. The 27-year-old Evans had always maintained his innocence and took his case to the Criminal Cases Review Commission. Hodgson backs Vardy LONDON (AP): England coach Roy Hodgson backed Jamie Vardy on Wednesday, saying the Leicester striker did not dive in the incident that led to him being sent off last weekend and sympathising with his angry response to the referee. Hodgson’s employer, the English Football Association, charged Vardy with improper conduct over his reaction to the red card in Sunday’s 2-2 draw with West Ham. “I don’t see that as a dive,” Hodgson said. “I think he was unbalanced. I don’t think it was a penalty either, I think he was unbalanced, running at that speed. “I think there was a very slight sort of contact with the defender, who was trying to cover.” Vardy confronted referee Jon Moss, jabbing a finger at the match official while appearing to express his anger at receiving his first red card of the season. “I sympathise with him, I think he was very, very unlucky,” Hodgson said. “But now he has had to swallow the fact that he has been made to leave the field and then, unfortunately, he has reacted like sometimes human beings react. “He hasn’t just said to the ref, ‘Thanks very much, I understand’ and shakes hands and ‘Have a good game’. He has called him a few names, but he is a human being and that can happen.” Vardy seems certain to be in Hodgson’s plans for the European Championship in June and July after leading Leicester’s stunning pursuit of a first-ever top flight title. LEICESTER, England (AP): Leicester striker Jamie Vardy has accepted an English Football Association improper conduct charge over his reaction to being sent off against West Ham. Vardy’s standard one-match ban could now be lengthened, potentially hitting Leicester’s bid for a first Premier League title. The team is five points ahead of Tottenham with four games remaining. Vardy tangled with Angelo Ogbonna before going down in the penalty area early in the second half on Sunday. Vardy angrily confronted referee Jon Moss after receiving his first red card of the season. At the time, Leicester were leading through Vardy’s 22nd goal of the season and went on to draw 2-2. Leicester also tweeted that it accepted an FA charge of failing to control its players after West Ham was awarded a late penalty.last_img read more

Marawi-inspired ‘Alab ng Puso’ medals await full Ironman finishers

first_imgView comments Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award More than 50 weavers overcame the odds and spent countless hours to make more than 1,200 ribbons in less than four months.The couple hopes that this is just the start of something even bigger in store for the Marawi weavers and their families.“For us, it was really our advocacy to make it sustainable. The reason why this is dying is because a lot of weavers stopped working because it’s not sustainable in helping them and their families and that’s a big challenge for us. How to make it sustainable livelihood for them especially with the fact that we had to start again from the ground up,” said Salika.Jardin lived in an area most affected by the war. He had nothing left of his home after it burned down.“Weaving those ribbons was a big help to us because when we accepted the job, the pain was still fresh in each and everyone of us here in Marawi,” he said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Hurting Banchero delivers impressive performance in honor of late best friend China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Weaving has been a cultural tradition in Marawi but the Maranaoans have been struggling to keep it alive through the changing times especially when the city came under siege in May of last year that lasted for nearly five months.During the war, lives, homes and livelihood were lost. In the aftermath, bombed-out buildings, rubble from destroyed establishments and bullet-punctured walls describing a city in tatters are those left of Marawi.But amid adversities, hope, perseverance and the fight to revive the true identity of the Maranaoan and their culture remained.“First, we wanted to do this to help the weavers, but we were shocked to learn that our equipment were destroyed. We encountered a lot of other challenges but I kept telling them this is going to be one of those that will prove that we can get back to our feet,” said Salika Maguindanao-Samad in Filipino, who, along with her husband Jardin, led the efforts in making the ribbons. “We were inspired and thankful because this is also our livelihood before that has somehow been forgotten but now, it’s giving us hope.”“We encouraged them to bring back weaving because that is something that we can be proud of and not be known for all the wrong reasons of being labeled as terrorists. We want to show that we are known for something much bigger than that and that we have a culture,” said Jardin in Filipino. “That’s what we want the world to know about us.”ADVERTISEMENT Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew The commemorative piece was created by Daniel dela Cruz, a renowned Filipino metal sculptor.“The title of the medal is ‘Alab ng Puso’ and it’s the fire in the heart which I think each and every triathlete needs to be able to finish the race,” said Dela Cruz.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownBut a medal won’t be one without a ribbon and making it was no easy task either.Staying true to the Filipino theme, each sling was made by weavers from war-torn Marawi. LATEST STORIES ALAB NG PUSO. These specially handcrafted medals and ribbons from Marawi weavers will be one of the prizes for the finishers of the first Ironman race in the Philippines.A reward like no other awaits finishers of the first full-distance Ironman race in the Philippines.Each participant who completes the arduous 3.8-kilometer swim, 180 km bike and 42 km run earns a special medal that not only symbolizes victory but also signifies the Filipino spirit and the sport of triathlon.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operationslast_img read more

Virendra reviews N Bengal law and order

first_imgDarjeeling: West Bengal Director General of Police Virendra was in North Bengal to review the law and order situation of the region.On Thursday, the top cop held review meetings in Coochbehar, Jalpaiguri and Alipurduar. On Friday, he held a meeting with the remaining districts in Siliguri. Later talking to mediapersons, DGP Virendra said: “It is a routine general review meeting. The law and order situation is all right. West Bengal has a 10 crore population and around 2 lakh cases. It is one of the most peaceful regions of the country.” Appealing for public cooperation in maintaining law and order, the DGP said: “Law always takes its own course. Do not take law in your own hands. If there is any law and order problem one should apprise the police of it.” Answering questions regarding the Hills, DGP Virendra said: “The Hills are peaceful. There is no law and order problem.”last_img read more

Hanley Wood Acquires Facilities Management Trade Event

first_imgHanley Wood has purchased senior facilities management executive trade event the TFM Show from Tinton Falls, New Jersey-based Group C Communications. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.“This is a milestone for our company which will accelerate growth,” Group C Communications co-president Ted Coene tells FOLIO:. “The sale of the TFM Show allows the company to expand its portfolio of hosted buyer events, print, and online media and broadens our opportunity to generate new revenue sources and profit centers.”Group C Communications is a b-to-b media company that produces events and publishes magazines including Business Facilities and Today’s Facilities Manager magazines. According to Coene, the sale allows Group C to focus on its launch of an online Web TV channel and its planned launch a real estate magazine this fall. Housing and construction publisher Hanley Wood has a portfolio of b-to-b and consumer magazines including Architect, Luxury Home Design and its flagship Builder magazine. Investment bank Berkery Noyes represented Group C Communications in the deal.last_img read more

Transfer of teachers stalled states Education dept in notification

first_imgKolkata: The state School Education department on Friday brought out a notification, stalling the transfer process of teachers both in the primary and secondary level until further notice.”All kinds of teachers’ transfer orders are stopped until further order. No application or cases for transfer of primary or secondary teachers will be entertained until further notice,” the notification stated. “We want to have a clear idea of the transfer of teachers that have taken place in the last few months, before further going for teacher transfer. So, we have stalled it for now,” state Education minister Partha Chatterjee said. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeA senior official of the state School Education department said that instructions in this regard have already been issued to the district inspector (DI) of schools and also to the headmasters of the state schools. It may be mentioned that after the incident at Daribhit High School in North Dinajpur, where two students were killed in a clash that broke out over teacher recruitment, state Education minister Partha Chatterjee had directed all the DIs to submit a report to the department by October 5, stating the student and teacher strength, the infrastructure of the schools under their respective jurisdiction and other details. “The DIs are expected to submit their report by today (Friday). We will examine the vacancies at the schools on the basis of the report. In recent times, there has been a number of teacher transfers. In Daribhit High School, there was no need of Urdu teachers and neither was there any vacancy. But the school was in the process of recruiting a teacher for Urdu, which led to the unfortunate incident,” the official maintained. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThe state Education department wants to have a clear picture of the strength of teachers and students, the vacancies, transfers in recent times and other nitty gritties to prevent such incidents in future. It may be mentioned that on September 25, Chatterjee held a meeting with the District Inspectors (DIs) and expressed his displeasure over the decision of shuffling teachers at Daribhit High School in Islampur and reprimanded some of them for their aggressive role in the recruitment or shuffling of teachers.last_img read more