Former BPL player wins appeal LONDON (AP): A British court overturned the rape conviction of former Premier League player Ched Evans yesterday and ordered a new trial. Evans, a former Sheffield United and Wales striker, was in the packed London courtroom with his girlfriend when the verdict was read out by the Court of Appeal. Evans was convicted in April 2012 of raping a 19-year-old woman at a hotel in Rhyl, north Wales. He was released from prison last year after serving half of his five-year sentence. The 27-year-old Evans had always maintained his innocence and took his case to the Criminal Cases Review Commission. Hodgson backs Vardy LONDON (AP): England coach Roy Hodgson backed Jamie Vardy on Wednesday, saying the Leicester striker did not dive in the incident that led to him being sent off last weekend and sympathising with his angry response to the referee. Hodgson’s employer, the English Football Association, charged Vardy with improper conduct over his reaction to the red card in Sunday’s 2-2 draw with West Ham. “I don’t see that as a dive,” Hodgson said. “I think he was unbalanced. I don’t think it was a penalty either, I think he was unbalanced, running at that speed. “I think there was a very slight sort of contact with the defender, who was trying to cover.” Vardy confronted referee Jon Moss, jabbing a finger at the match official while appearing to express his anger at receiving his first red card of the season. “I sympathise with him, I think he was very, very unlucky,” Hodgson said. “But now he has had to swallow the fact that he has been made to leave the field and then, unfortunately, he has reacted like sometimes human beings react. “He hasn’t just said to the ref, ‘Thanks very much, I understand’ and shakes hands and ‘Have a good game’. He has called him a few names, but he is a human being and that can happen.” Vardy seems certain to be in Hodgson’s plans for the European Championship in June and July after leading Leicester’s stunning pursuit of a first-ever top flight title. LEICESTER, England (AP): Leicester striker Jamie Vardy has accepted an English Football Association improper conduct charge over his reaction to being sent off against West Ham. Vardy’s standard one-match ban could now be lengthened, potentially hitting Leicester’s bid for a first Premier League title. The team is five points ahead of Tottenham with four games remaining. Vardy tangled with Angelo Ogbonna before going down in the penalty area early in the second half on Sunday. Vardy angrily confronted referee Jon Moss after receiving his first red card of the season. At the time, Leicester were leading through Vardy’s 22nd goal of the season and went on to draw 2-2. Leicester also tweeted that it accepted an FA charge of failing to control its players after West Ham was awarded a late penalty.
Simmons further said that it is an advantage that West Simmons further said that it is an advantage that West Indies players play in the Indian Premier League. “Its a huge advantage because the good thing about it is that the first two grounds we play at… IPL ground one we have three players here (Mumbai) and the next one is Chriss home ground (Bangalore). I think it is huge advantage for us,” the 52-year-old coach opined when asked about the IPL factor. What more does he expect from Gayle in the coming matches and pat came the reply, “Bat 15 overs for me, thats what I need from him, once you bat 15 overs we are someway near to the target (either) we are setting or chasing.” When asked whether Gayle conceals the other weaknesses in the side, Simmons said, “No. All teams have weaknesses but all teams have strengths too. If we use our strengths, that negates your weakness, thats how you win games, all teams have weaknesses, its up to other people to explore our weakness like we will explore theirs.” On comparing Gayle with West Indies legends, Simmons said he would “put him” with Vivian Richards because Richards “used to go out there” and destroy attacks. PTI NRB AH AH
Tags Comments 85 Photos 3 Amazon launched its Fire TV streaming products in 2014. Sarah Tew/CNET Amazon’s Fire TV may be moving into the lead among video streaming devices, with its lineup of products attracting “well over” 30 million active users, the company said Wednesday at CES. That’s up from the 25 million Amazon disclosed in October, suggesting growth of 5 million new accounts in three months. And Amazon expects the number to grow soon, too. “We’re still in the middle of the ‘buy’ to ‘turn on’ period” from the holiday shopping season, Amazon’s head of Fire TV, Marc Whitten, said in an interview with CNET on Wednesday at CES. The 30 million figure seems to put Fire TV ahead of Roku, widely considered one of the most popular streaming-video products. Earlier this week, Roku estimated it had 27 million active users. The company said it defines an active account as one that has streamed content in the last 30 days; a single account may include streaming on multiple devices with multiple individuals in the household. Roku declined to comment on Amazon’s announcement.Amazon didn’t characterize its definition of a monthly active user. The company has Fire devices that work in more than 80 countries, according to its support page. Roku operates in 23 countries.The market for video streaming devices is exploding. The number of households with a streaming player has quadrupled in the last five years, according to Parks Associates, and Roku and Amazon have been competing for market share since Amazon launched the Fire TV line in 2014. Whitten plans to grow the Fire TV business this year by expanding Amazon’s international partnerships, though he avoided offering any specifics about those efforts. Whitten added that the company has been “very happy” with sales of Fire TV Edition smart TVs, which are sets that have Fire TV built into them.As an example of a recent partnership, Amazon signed a deal last April with Best Buy to bring a new lineup of Fire TV Edition sets to customers in the US and Canada. “Smart TV powered by Fire TV Edition, we think, is a great experience, and we want to build more of them,” Whitten said.Whitten said there’s still plenty more work to do to get the right balance on promoting Amazon’s Prime Video shows up against rival content on Fire TV, as well as figuring out the best experiences for controlling your TV via voice using the Alexa digital assistant. Those efforts will be works in progress over the year.”There are things where voice is not going to be as fast [as using a remote], and there are things with voice where it’s not even going to be in the same ballpark,” he said, “and we’re just going to keep working on making those parts great.”First published Jan. 9, 12:36 p.m. PT.Updates, 4:20 p.m.: Adds context and more comments from Whitten interview; Jan. 10 at 9:02 a.m.: Adds context.CES 2019: See all of CNET’s coverage of the year’s biggest tech show.5G is your next big upgrade: Everything you need to know about the 5G revolution. Share your voice Amazon Media Streamers Digital Media CES 2019 All the cool new gadgets at CES 2019
Tags Post a comment Record producer and DJ Diplo shared images from the event live on his Instagram account and handled DJ duties at the reception, CBS reports. Turner wore a white satin pantsuit and white veil and carried a bouquet of white flowers highlighted by a blue flashing light. See all the Game of Thrones season 8 photos Game of Thrones airs Sunday on HBO. Just three episodes remain in the series. In true Vegas style, the couple appears to have been wed by an Elvis Presley impersonator, and instead of wedding bands, they exchanged Ring Pops. Jonas brothers Nick and Kevin served as groomsmen.Goofy Vegas details aside, this seems to be a real wedding. CNET sister site ET confirmed it with a look at the marriage license.Turner, 23, is a British actress who began playing Sansa on HBO’s Game of Thrones when she was just 14. She also plays Jean Grey in the X-Men film series.Jonas, 29, rose to fame with his family music group, the Jonas Brothers, and later formed DNCE, which had a huge 2015 hit with the song Cake by the Ocean. The couple announced their engagement back in 2017 with matching Instagram posts displaying Turner’s diamond engagement ring. 57 Photos 0 Share your voice More on Game of Thrones Game of Thrones stars, from season 1 through today Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams: Yep, my mom watched that Arya scene Game of Thrones products: The coolest goods for Westeros watchers Game of Thrones’ Battle of Winterfell statistical analysis: Who was the MVP? 187 Photos TV and Movies Congrats @joejonas & @SophieT who just tied the knot in Vegas! 🎉 @nickjonas & @kevinjonas by Joe’s side while @DanAndShay sang “Speechless” as Sophie walked down the aisle. ET can confirm the two obtained a marriage license in Vegas today. You can watch the vows on @diplo’s IG! pic.twitter.com/IjlpCA8akI— Cassie DiLaura (@CassieDiLaura) May 2, 2019 Her Game of Thrones character, Sansa Stark, has had some terrible forced weddings. But on Wednesday night, actress Sophie Turner married singer Joe Jonas in what appears to be a much happier event.The wedding was held at A Little White Wedding Chapel’s Chapel L’Amour after the evening’s Billboard Music Awards, CNET parent site CBS News reports. Game of Thrones
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) on Wednesday, Aug. 31, in two separate orders, fined 11 cement-manufacturing companies and the Cement Manufacturers’ Association (CMA) a total of more than Rs. 6,700 crore on charges that they had resorted to cartelisation.The order is expected to bring some cheer to the builder community, but the stocks of the companies that have been fined are bound to go down when the markets open for trading on Thursday. The order is also expected to impact prices of new homes, should the cement companies keep cement prices competitive and construction firms pass on the benefits of these lower cement prices to their buyers.The CCI, in a statement, said on Wednesday that according to one of its orders the following 10 companies have been fined around Rs. 6,300 crore for cartelisation: ACC was fined Rs. 1,147.59 crore, ACL Rs. 1,163.91 crore, Binani Rs. 167.32 crore, Century Rs. 274.02 crore, India Cements Rs. 187.48 crore, JK Cements Rs. 128.54 crore, Lafarge Rs. 490.01 crore, Ramco Rs. 258.63 crore, UltraTech Rs. 1,175.49 crore and Jaiprakash Associates Limited Rs. 1,323.60 crore.The statement said the CCI had also fined the CMA Rs. 73 lakh as part of this order. It had also imposed a penalty of Rs. 397.51 crore on Shree Cement Limited as per a separate order.The CCI order comes in light of a complaint filed by the Builders Association of India under Section 19(1)(a) of the Competition Act, 2002. In it, the CCI noted that not only had the CMA and the cement companies violated the act, but also that the companies used the platform that the CMA provided to share details “relating to prices, capacity utilisation, production and dispatch” of cement, thus restricting “production and supplies in the market, contravening the provisions of Section 3(1) read with Section 3(3)(b) of the Act.”The order also said the CCI “found the cement companies to be acting in concert in fixing prices of cement” — the very definition of cartelisation — “in contravention of the provisions of Section 3(1) read with Section 3(3)(a) of the Act.”The competition watchdog has also ordered the CMA and the cement companies to “cease and desist” from taking part in “any activity relating to agreement, understanding or arrangement on prices, production and supply of cement in the market.” It has also asked the CMA to stop collecting wholesale and retail prices through cement companies that are members of it, or from other sources.
AP Photo/Matt DunhamA woman carries a baby and holds a banner as she takes part in a protest outside the House of Commons in central London, Wednesday, March 29, 2017. Britain will begin divorce proceedings from the European Union later on March 29, starting the clock on two years of intense political and economic negotiations that will fundamentally change both the nation and its European neighbors.1. BREXIT DAY: BRITAIN SET TO FILE FOR EU DIVORCEAfter 44 years of ups and downs with the European Union, Prime Minister Theresa May will send a letter to the European Council formally triggering a two-year countdown to the final split.2. HOW TRAVEL BAN IS IMPACTING RESEARCH UNIVERSITIESSchools including the University of Central Florida have admitted a large number of Iranian graduate students and losing them would be a blow to science programs, AP finds.3. WHY PEOPLE OF RAQQA ARE TERRIFIEDSome 300,000 residents of the Islamic State group’s de facto capital in Syria are trapped by the militants using them as human shields or confused as to where to run from airstrikes.4. FEDERAL JUDGE WEIGHING LONGER BLOCK TO TRAVEL BANHawaii says the policy discriminates against Muslims, while the government says it falls within Trump’s power to protect national security.5. WHERE ‘TRUMP COMMUNITY’ ALARMS CONSERVATIONISTSThey predict that the overall development in West Java, including a massive theme park, will overwhelm a refuge for some of Indonesia’s most threatened species.6. ‘EVERY DAY, I’M REMINDED THAT I’M JEWISH’Former California congressional candidate Erin Schrode saw her email and social media accounts polluted with slurs and disturbing images from internet trolls.7. ENVIRONMENTALISTS VOW TO FIGHT CLIMATE ACTIONSThe groups say they’ll file lawsuits and help to mobilize public backlash to plans by Trump to roll back U.S. efforts to curb global warming.8. WHAT END TO ONLINE PRIVACY MEANSThe legislation could eventually allow internet providers such as Comcast, AT&T and Verizon to sell the browsing habits of their customers.9. WHO LIBRARY OF CONGRESS IS PRESERVINGPioneering rap group N.W.A. and retired Los Angeles Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully are among this year’s additions to the prestigious National Recording Registry.10. MAJOR CHANGES COMING TO NFL GAMESFewer commercial breaks per quarter and a revamping of video replay could mean an enhanced flow of play. Share
General view of the FA Cup trophy It might have snuck up on some people, but the FA Cup is back, and we have a very typical early round clash as Hampton face Oldham this evening.This is only the third time that Hampton have landed a first-round berth in the FA Cup, although the bookmakers do expect the winning run to come to an end here. The hosts were losing finalists in last year’s National League South Playoffs but have not found the same fluency this season, with jut one win in their last five matches leaving them as low as 16th in the division.Oldham Athletic have had their struggles too this season – they’ve won just five of their 17 games and are languishing in 15th, closer to the bottom diminishing their bid to bounce back at the first attempt. However, they are facing much stiffer competition than the hosts and at least they have improved lately, scoring two goals in defeat at Stevenage and taking a point away at Notts County.In their last three games they have arguably been the better side and if they are able to reach such standards then they look to be worthy favourites to progress here, as they have done at this stage for seven of the last eight seasons.Hampton & Richmond vs OldhamFA Cup first round, 7.45pmLive on BT Sport 1 HDHEAD TO HEAD RECORD(Maximum 10 matches)First known meetingThis could be a game of goals – Hampton have conceded eight goals in their last three games – but the visitors should find a way.RECOMMENDED BETS (scale of 1-100 points)BACK OVER 2.5 GOALS 5 points at 3/4 with starsports.bet PROFIT/LOSS SINCE JAN 1 2017: PROFIT 175.84 points(not including Premier League ante-post, or cricket)